Saturday, January 11, 2014

Next Steps

I was diagnosed with Ductal Carcinoma in Situ (DCIS).* This is the "best" diagnosis in the breast cancer world. The rest of the pathology report was good too. DCIS is Stage 0.

I am most grateful to friends who have shared their own personal stories. They were my first calls, and they were completely open with their stories and experiences as well as with the names of their doctors. Within 24 hours I had several names of surgeons, plastic surgeons and oncologists, and had appointments set up to meet them on Thursday and Friday.

Lumpectomy and radiation is a choice I could make. However, I'm not comfortable with the uncertainty of that path, so I have chosen to have a double mastectomy with reconstruction. If the next pathology report confirms the biopsy results and nothing else is found, I won't need radiation or chemotherapy. My goal is to end this before I hear a stage that is nonzero.

* Situ is pronounced by the doctors with a long i and a long u.

No comments:

Post a Comment