Thursday, February 20, 2014

Still So Far, So Good

One day at a time.
Every day since the infection and 2nd surgery has been one day at a time.
Each visit with the doctor has been another checkpoint.
Each time, the only thing we could say was "So far, so good." So there hasn't been much news to post, because each day was only "So far, so good."

The first week after the 2nd surgery I slept. And watched some of the Olympics. And slept more.

The second week (this past week) I had more energy. But still a lot of sleeping. And more Olympics.

If I weren't sleeping so much, I would have watched the live broadcasts. Instead, I watched the evening-prime-time-fully-produced version, which is driven by the "overcoming adversity" theme. The profiles of athletes who've been injured, had surgeries and came back to compete. The ones who are in their second and third Olympics. The ones who fall on the ice and get back up to finish their programs. The ones who crash on the half-pipe and still do their second run.

It sinks in, people.

The next hurdle is whether I can stay infection-free without the antibiotics - basically through the weekend and into next week. If so, we're back on track and I'll get more filled up (fun times!). If not, the expander will have to come out (yes, that would be another surgery), and then time for healing.

Last November, I started thinking about hiking Bear Peak. The trail to the summit takes about another hour past the point where I usually stop, the overlook on Fern Trail. By the time I started thinking about it, there had been snow and the trail was icy, so I decided I would hike it in the spring, maybe April.

However the next several days turn out - whether I'm fine, or whether I'm starting over on the right side, I'm looking forward to doing that hike in April.

No comments:

Post a Comment