Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Inside Out

That is how it feels - inside out, or the inverse of what we are used to feeling. There's little to no sensation on the outside of the new pair. . .but I can feel everything on the inside (like the edges of the expanders, and the saline moving around). Ew. Probably more than you wanted to know.

In other news, I got the results of the genetic testing. I tested negative for the BRCA1 and BRCA2 common mutations. This is good, it generally means I "don't have the gene."

However, the lab then tested the full length of the 2 genes, and found a "variant of uncertain significance" on BRCA2. I'll be following up with the oncologist on that. . .and I think my family members can have the genetic test as part of a study (means: no cost!) as the researchers gather more info and try to determine if there is any significance to this variant.

Back to better news: physical therapy is definitely helping. Also: quality time with Rocky.


Doesn't everyone do PT with a dog on top?

I can open jars, reach for things on higher shelves (ahem) and work lotion and soap pumps without having to move them closer/lower. I can roll and fold a zillion hamentaschen (and did!).

I'm still scheduled for the next procedure in April. The next set (the permanent implants) should be more comfortable than the expanders, and I cannot wait. If you are at all interested/curious in what they look like at this point, feel free to give me a call for a personal tour.

PS: Here's a link to my hamentaschen recipe. The ones pictured above are gluten free - I eliminated the flour and baking powder from the regular recipe, and used 2 c almond flour and 1 cup arrowroot instead (with a little extra Bob's all-purpose GF flour to help firm-up the dough).

No comments:

Post a Comment