Sunday, June 15, 2014

Time Flies

9 months ago, the basement flooded (the Boulder 1000 year rain).
6 months ago, I had my annual mammogram.
5 months ago, I had a diagnosis.
4 months ago, I was recovering from a double mastectomy followed by an infection and another surgery (actually 4 months ago I was mostly sleeping off the nearly back-to-back surgeries).
3 months ago, I made a lot of hamentashen.
2 months ago, there was the fun surgery, the one where they took out the expanders, put in silicone, and did some fat grafting. Other than heartburn from the compression-wear and overdoing it on Passover, it really wasn't so bad. I did more PT with my little helper. 

1 month ago, Lauren graduated from the University of Puget Sound. It was very wet! But also wonderful.

Last weekend was the Boulder Jewish Festival and it was also very wet! But it too was wonderful. 

Next weekend I am going to Israel with my mom.  Lauren is there now on a Birthright trip. We are meeting her at the end of her trip and traveling for 10 days or so. It's a little impromptu but also feels like something I need to do, as part of this crazy year I'm having. 

Oh and then when I get back, more surgery. They don't match yet, but they will. Also, I need more fat (words I never thought I would say, honestly). Luckily I still have some for the doctor to rearrange. 

In other news, in case you are wondering. . . 
Yes I ordered the Israeli nipple prosthetics that everyone saw on Facebook from Tablet magazine. They are very realistic. I haven't figured out when to wear them (David says: maybe the beach). The rest of the time? Hmmm, having trouble with the use case. Put them on and put on a bra? Um, no. Put them on and not wear a bra? Um, no. See the dilemma? 

Yes I saw the New York Times article and video about Vinnie in Baltimore, who is also the guy in New Orleans (apparently he works both places?). Thinking about that for later in the year. Trompe l'oeil sounds like a good solution. 

Yes I saw the article about moles. Since I've been having moles removed for about 15 years, that's kinda interesting. 

Yes the jury is still out about other preventive surgery related to the genetic test. 

No, I haven't hiked Bear Peak yet. Who has time? There was snow up there until late May, and more rain. I'm thinking about doing it in July when I get back. I have hiked up Shanahan 5 times in March and once in April (between surgeries), 4 times in May and twice so far in June. 

And the basement? Over the last 9 months I thought I would actually get that project done (sure, in between surgeries and holidays and travels!). So the bins of stuff from the basement were stacked up elsewhere in the house and garage. This spring, every time it rains for more than about 10 minutes, there's another flood warning. Last Sunday after the rain, the sump pump was running. The basement rehab now seems premature, and the bins of stuff have moved back there so they can once again be "out of sight, out of mind." At least until I finish my reconstruction!

No comments:

Post a Comment